Resources for Quitting
UC Davis Students
Visit Student Health and Counseling Services' Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs Intervention Services website or call (530) 752-6334 for one-on-one assistance and to learn about free tobacco cessation services available to all registered students, including a free one month (4 week) supply of nicotine replacement products.
Free "quit kits" are also available at the Student Health and Wellness Center to all registered students.
Free Quitting Kits
FREE "quit kits" are available to all faculty, staff, and students as long as supplies last! To request one, send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Student Health and Counseling Services also has free "quit kits" for students.
UC Davis Faculty and Staff
- Start the Quit for Life® program, which is available at no additional cost to University employees and family members who are enrolled in UC Care, Health Savings Plan, and Core plan. You will receive online and phone support and free nicotine replacement therapy products (gum or patches). More information is on their flyer and at http://www.quitnow.net.
- Consult your personal physician and health plan for resources. (A summary of health plan benefits for UC employees can be found on UC's Living Well tobacco cessation resources page and on the UC Tobacco Cessation Resources flyer.)
- UC Davis Health System offers stop-smoking programs throughout the year, usually in five-week increments with two-to-three classes per week. Classes feature a range of speakers and focus on techniques to modify behavior, control weight gain, use nicotine replacement effectively and prevent relapses. Contact Cari Shulkin for more information: (916) 734-8493 or email@example.com
- Need to talk? The Academic and Staff Assistance Program offers free, confidential counseling for faculty and staff adapting to a tobacco-free workday.
Additional Resources on the Health System Campus
Smoke and Tobacco Free Resources (UC Davis Medical Center Flyer)
All Smoke and Tobacco Users
- Watch a short 2-minute video in English and Spanish about the free California Smokers' Helpline.
- Visit smokefree.gov for a comprehensive collection of quitting resources and step-by-step guides.
- For Veterans: SmokefreeVET is a mobile text messaging service for military Veterans who receive their health care through VA. Sign up at http://smokefree.gov/VET/. For information on VA’s smoking and tobacco cessation programs visit http://www.publichealth.va.gov/smoking/.
- Check out KillTheCan.org, which has free resources and tools, including a quitting forum, a chat room, and quitting groups, to help dip, snuff, and chewing tobacco users quit.
- Read Tips From Former Smokers, in which former smokers share their stories.
- UC Davis Stop Smoking Classes: livinghealthy.ucdavis.edu; ask about staff-only classes.
California Smokers’ Helpline: add weblink to nobutts.org; also has a NoButts app and free text reminders.