Common Mental Health Issues – The resources in this section focus on mental disorders and symptoms.
The included resources provide information about clinical diagnoses that include ADHD, anxiety, depression, stress, eating disorders, substance use problems, insomnia, self-harm, and suicide prevention. There are also resources that can be useful to people thinking about seeking clinical help. In addition, resources are included to help support someone struggling with a mental health concern.
- General Websites with Information about Mental Health Diagnoses and Concerns
- Specific Mental Health Diagnoses and Concerns
- Helping Ourselves and Others
General Websites with Information about Mental Health Diagnoses and Concerns:
- American Psychological Association – This website provides information about psychological issues affecting physical and emotional well-being. This is American Psychological Association’s (APA) help website. The APA is a professional organization for Psychologists.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Mental Health – Information regarding mental health including basic facts, seeking treatment, and coping with difficulties. It provides evidence-based research.
- Medline Plus (also Español) – Information and research about physical and mental health conditions, diseases, treatment, and wellness from the National Institute of Health produced by the National Library of Medicine.
- MentalHealth.gov – Provides information to educate individuals about mental health basics, including: symptoms to look for, how to talk about mental health, and how to get help.
- National Institute of Mental Health – Includes an overview about mental health including: symptoms, treatments, and research. Additional mental health information includes statistics, how to find help for mental illness, and outreach events and/or programs. The NIMH is a government agency that researches mental health disorders.
Specific Mental Health Diagnoses and Concerns:
- Addictions and Substance Use
- Anxiety Disorders: including obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), phobias, and panic disorders
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD, ADD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder: including what was formerly called Asperger’s syndrome
- Depression and Other Mood Disorders: including depression and bipolar disorder
- Disruptive Behavioral Disorders: including diagnoses such as Oppositional-Defiant Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Sleep Disorders including Insomnia
- Memory Loss
- Psychotic Disorders
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Suicide Prevention
- Trauma and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)