The UC Davis Farmers Market is organized by the UC Davis Staff and Faculty Health and Well Being program, in collaboration with multiple campus departments and sponsors.
The market is designed to promote student health as well as local and campus-produced food products. It is a seasonal on-campus extension of the Davis Farmers Market. It runs each Wednesday of fall and spring quarters from 10:00 am to 1:30 pm, on the Student Community Center South Promenade.
- I'd like to sponsor the market. How do I do that?
- We rely on sponsors to cover the operating cost of the market at UC Davis. Our sponsors each cover a portion of expenses like parking, waste management, space reservation fees and marketing expenses. All sponsors are acknowledged on market vouchers and we feature sponsors on our Instagram page as well as on our website. If your department would like to sponsor, please email Linda Adams.
- What is the history of the UC Davis Farmers Market?
- The UC Davis Farmers Market developed from collaboration between a number of campus partners in an effort to increase access to fresh, local produce for busy UC Davis students, staff and faculty during fall and spring quarters. A 2011 survey of UC Davis students found that over 60% eat two or fewer servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
The UC Davis Farmers Market offers an easy and convenient way for the campus community to incorporate more nutrition-packed fruits and vegetables into their lives. The market is operated under the umbrella of multiple sponsoring departments including Student Health & Counseling Services, UC Davis Stores, Campus Recreation and Unions, ASUCD Coffee House, Student Housing and Dining Services, and Healthy UC Davis. We also have in-kind sponsors including the Davis Farmers Market Alliance and the UC Davis Staff and Faculty Health and Well-being program.
- How many days out of the year does your Farmers Market operate?
- The UC Davis Farmers Market operates on Wednesdays during the fall and spring quarters on the UC Davis campus. During fall, we only operate during the weeks prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, which is 6 - 7 Wednesdays during the fall quarter. During the spring, the UC Davis Farmers Market operates 9 -10 weeks of the quarter.
- What hours do you operate your Farmers Market?
- The UC Davis Farmers Market operates from 10am-1:30pm.
- What happens if the weather is poor?
- The UC Davis Farmers Market is rain or shine, however many of our tabling resources (not growers) may decide to cancel their participation when there is rain.
- How many vendors participate in your farmer market?
- We have an average of six vendors during the fall and spring markets.
- Do the vendors at the UC Davis Farmers Market change from fall to spring?
- Our growers may change between the seasons based on what their primary crops are. For example, our cherry grower only comes out for spring when cherries ripen.
- Are the food vendors separate from the Farmers Market or a part of it?
- Any food vendors you see at the market are 'separate' from the Farmers Market area in order to meet Farmers Market code and regulation, although they operate in conjunction with market programming.
- Are your food vendors covered by the Farmers Market liability insurance or do they carry their own insurance?
- All of our food vendors carry their own insurance.
- Do you have other campus groups set up booths at the event. Can my group table at the market?
- The tabling space at the market is reserved for sponsors of the market. If your group or department would like to become a sponsor, email the organizer!!
- Is your Farmers Market open to the off-campus public?
- Yes, although most visitors are from on-campus and are students, staff and faculty. Any community members that may attend the market are welcome to park on campus and pay a daily or hourly parking fee, although we are a very bike-friendly campus and encourage all participants of the market to walk, bike or bus to campus if they are visiting from off-campus.
- How well attended is the UC Davis Farmers Market?
- The event is well attended; it is located in a space heavy with foot traffic. Sales have increased, however we would like to see more sales at all of our vendors’ stalls.
- What forms of payment can the public use at the Farmers Market?
- There are multiple options for cash-free transactions, even with our growers!
EBT is available at the Market Information table and the market participates in the market-match program, doubling (up to $10) EBT purchasing power for produce.
Debit and Credit Card Transactions - Market Dollars can be purchased dollar-for-dollar at the Market Information table with debit/credit cards at no additional charge. These vouchers can be used at vendor stalls unable to accept debit/credit cards.
Aggie Cash is accepted at the UC Davis Farmers Market. Aggie Cash can be exchanged for Market Dollars at the Market Information table for use at grower tables. Cash is also accepted.
- What issues did you need to work through to have a Farmers Market at UC Davis?
- In order to be successful in developing a Farmers Market for your campus, we highly encourage you to understand what policies and procedures are required for hosting events on campus, because technically the Farmers Market is an event. Other key things to keep in mind include:
Budget – who is going to pay for the main operating expenses of your farmers market?
Management – who is going to manage the weekly operations of your market, including reserving space and organizing/monitoring the event.
Safety – different campuses have different policies for safety requirements. Keep in mind you will need to likely have your health and safety inspector and fire marshal involved in the planning.
Growers – who are your growers going to be? It has been easier for us to partner with our downtown Davis Farmers Market manager to maintain a consistent representation of local growers at our UC Davis Farmers Market.
Certified Farmers Market – is your market going to be a certified Farmers Market? A CFM requires that all of the produce being sold at your market is grown in the state you are operating in. Learn more about becoming a certified California Farmers Market here: http://www.cafarmersmarkets.com/.
- I'd like to table at the market, is that possible?
- Currently tabling space is reserved for sponsors of the market. If you would like to become a sponsor, please email our program lead, Linda Adams
Don't see answer to your question about the UC Davis Farmers Market?
Feel free to contact us! Email Linda Adams or call 530-752-6800.