UC Davis Celebrates Eight Years of Being Smoke and Tobacco Free
Research shows there has been significant progress in the eight years since the UC system implemented its 100% Smoke and Tobacco Free policy. A systemwide survey found littering of cigarette butts dropped 65 percent shortly after the policy was implemented. Smoking on campuses and medical centers declined, and the sale and advertising of tobacco-related products stopped entirely.
“The effects of the policy are encouraging, but there is still progress to be made,” explained Keavagh Clift, Special Services Program Manager with Occupational Health. “Although cigarette use has been steadily declining since 2013, we’re seeing a startling increase in vape and e-cigarette use.”
To support the policy and help those who are interested in quitting smoking, UC Davis offers campus tools and comprehensive smoking cessation resources to all registered students, staff, and faculty, including counseling and free Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Students and Staff/Faculty.
For those who engage with resources, a Gift Card Incentive Program is available.
- Earn a $30 gift card by completing one of the following, or a $50 gift card by completing two of the following
- Students: complete three cessation sessions with Intervention Services within three months
- Faculty/Staff: complete three cessation sessions with Health Management and Education within three months
- Register with Kick It CA for free and complete three steps (1) set a quit date, (2) identify triggers, and (3) make a plan
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to provide proof of completion and redeem your gift card.
For more questions or more information, please contact email@example.com